AZPPA Convention 2020
February 07, 2020 5:00 PM to February 09, 2020 6:00 PM
Add to Calendar
5025 E Washington St, Conference Center
Phoenix, AZ 85034
AzPPA Convention 2020
AZPPA Convention 2020 is a 3 day, educational photography event where you will learn, grow and have fun with industry minded peers. We have some the most respected photographers in our industry coming to share their knowledge and passion with AZPPA. Whether you are a seasoned professional or just starting out in the professional photography industry, this event is for you!
The knowledge and information acquired during this weekend will be PRICELESS!
5025 E. Washington Street
Lunch on Saturday and Banquet Lunch on Sunday Included
AZPPA Member Early Bird Rate - $139 Thru Jan 10th
*must register and pay before 11:59pm on Jan 10th 2020 and be an active AZPPA member
AZPPA Member Price - $189 after January 10th
PPA Member and Student Price - $199
Standard Student Rate For Convention. Must be a full-time student (proof will be requested) 12 Credit Hours or higher per semester. Email: [email protected]om for special rate code to enter.
All Other Photographers - $299
Or become an AzPPA Member and save!!
Schedule of Events:
Friday, February 7th
PHOENIX RISING HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE
5:00PM - 6:00PM Check in and Social Hour
6:00PM - 9:30PM Numerous lighting bays with continuous lighting with models, makeup, instructors, & various photographic styles. Music and sandwiches will be supplied. This is an event you do NOT want to miss and is part of your convention registration!!!
Saturday, February 8th
8:00AM - 2:15PM Image Competition - register and submit images at: www.printcompetition.com
12:30PM - 1:30PM Lunch
2:30PM - 4:30PM JB Sallee: Be the Tip of the Iceberg
4:45PM - 6:45PM Roben Bellomo: A World Without Color - black & white portrait photography - from concept to print
3:30PM - 6:30PM One-on-one image mentoring w/ judges (runs concurrently with above workshop - join and rejoin class as necessary)
7:30PM - ? Meet the Judges Dinner
*not included in convention membership
Sunday February 10th
8:00AM - 10:00AM Mark McCall: There’s Gold in Volume Photography
10:15AM - 12:15PM Tim Meyer: Portrait Lighting Through the Lens of History- includes a live demo with a character/model
12:30PM - 1:00PM Chinese auction drawing and results
1:00PM - 2:30PM Banquet luncheon and awards2:45PM - 4:45PM Thom Rouse: Art and Photoshop - Techniques, demonstrations and inspiration used in creating Fine Art
5:00PM - 6:00PM Photo Shoot-Out: An audience involved, energetic photo competition. Watch two masters compete in a crowd-voted winner photo competition.
AzPPA STATE IMAGE COMPETITION
(Image Submission Deadline February 7th @ 6:00pm)
Why Enter Image Competition?
Image competition is a challenging but rewarding experience. In addition to being an excellent educational experience by entering and watching image competition, the scores and occasional comments made by the distinguished panel of experienced and PPA approved judges will help prepare you for submitting your images to district and international (PPA's IPC) competitions. Your images will receive a score (80 and above is a merited image).
Become A Better Photographer
This is where your hard work as a photographer really shines and prepares you to improve your images, which puts you on a path to achieving a Master of Photography degree with the Professional Photographers of America, achieving one of the highest levels of photographic excellence in the industry (to learn more about PPA's Master of Photographer Degree visit the PPA website).
AzPPA Members are also eligible for awards including the prestigious AzPPA Top Photographer Of The Year Award. Additional awards include Top 10 Photographer, CPP Award, ASP Award, Highest First Time Entrant Case Score, and First/Second/Third Place in categories such as Portrait, Landscape/Ilustrative, Wedding, Commercial and Album. These awards also help studios garner attention from the media with your press releases as well as with potential clients.
Entering Image Competition Is Easy!
To enter image competition, all you have to do is prepare your images and upload them to the AzPPA competition website at www.printcompetition.com.
Once prepared, click on the 'Register Your Images Now' link on the bottom of that page. You will then step through the process of registering for image competition and then uploading each digital image one at a time, making sure to select the proper category for each image and checking any boxes that apply. All rules and procedures can be found on our convention website as well.
Images are only $20 per entry, with a maximum of 6 images allowed (the top 4 images are used for AzPPA members to be calculated towards their award eligibility).
Entering image competition does not require you to attend our AzPPA State convention going on at the same time. However, if you do register for convention you will have access to all seminars and activities INCLUDING our Image Mentoring program. Bring your images submitted to image competition on an iPad or other display, and a judge from our judges panel or another qualified judge will sit down with you and show you how to improve your images to perform better at district and IPC competitions.
You do not need to be present at the competition to enter! The PrintCompetition.com website lets you log in remotely and see the progress of competition (there is no audio, but you can watch as each image is presented and scored). Of course though we hope you can join us, and better yet sign up for convention and enjoy EVERYTHING that AzPPA State Convention has to offer for the professional and aspiring photographer.
*Must be an AzPPA Member to be eligible for awards
ARIZONA PPA PRINT COMPETITION - OFFICIAL RULES
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY! All rules must be followed as listed. Not doing so may prevent judging of your entry.
ANY RULES NOT EXPLICITYLY STATED BELOW WILL BE ASSUMED TO FOLLOW PPA NATIONAL RULES.
ELIGIBILITY: Any AzPPA member in good standing, with dues current, may enter. Only AzPPA member residing in Arizona are eligible for awards. Non-members and out-of-state entries will be judged for score only. A photograph or album entered in a previous AzPPA competition, which did not receive a merit, is eligible for entry again, provided it complies with all other rules. A photograph or album that has received an AzPPA Sate Merit may not be entered again, even if it has been changed.
- ENTRIES ALLOWED: Up to 6 entries are permitted. Only digital images can be entered. To be eligible for all awards, participants are encouraged to submit a complete case of at least 4 entries. Only the top scoring 4 image will be considered for awards.
- ENTRY FEES: The entry fee is $20 per image.
- DIVISIIONS FOR COMPETITION:
– Master Division – All PPA Masters enter this division
– Open Division – All active members/non-members who are not PPA Masters enter this division.
- CLASSIFICATION OF ENTRIES:
Event Album: An album from a wedding, bar mitzvah or other similar special events. See special rules section.
Non-Event Album: An album from studio sessions, seniors, story-telling albums, etc.
Wedding: Photographs may not be entered if the images is also in a wedding album.
Portrait: Same subject cannot be used more than once.
Illustrative: Creative, scenic, photograph art, photojournalism, electronic imagery, etc.
Commercial: Images of a commercial, editorial or industrial nature.
- ENTRANT CERTIFICATION OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Entrant must certify shat he/she has created, composed and made the original exposure and that the processing and any special effect and/or digital manipulations were done by or under his/her direction. He/she must further certify that he/she understand this statement and faces the penalty of loss of five Exhibition Merits if the statement is proven false. Entrant agrees to hold harmless against any liabilities or claims arising out of the display, publication, promotion or other use of photographs or other material submitted. Entrant also agrees to hold AzPPA Board Members, judges and Print Competition Committee members harmless against any liabilities or claims arising out of any dispute of the rules and/or print competition.
- INELIGIBLE PHOTOGRAPHS:
- Albums or photographs that were made under the supervision of an instructor, during a seminar, or as a class assignment are NOT ELIBIGLE in this competition.
- No two images shall be of the same subject, i.e., the same model. Each entry must be distinctly different. This would exclude the same model in different clothing or in separate sittings.
- An image that has already merited in an AzPPA Print Competition cannot be entered again, whether it be included in a composite, as an individual image, in an album, or presented with a new treatment.
- RETOUCHING: Retouching is permissible on the photographic images. Retouching may be done by someone other than the photographer but must be done under the direction of the photographer.
- IDENTIFICATION (PHOTOGRAPHS): In order to identify and list entries, all photographs must be titled. No title, signature, name of maker, award ribbons or seals may appear on the digital images. However, wording or titles which are an integral part of the entry, are acceptable. All makers are to remain anonymous to the judges.
- AzPPA PRINT MERTIS: An entry receiving a final score of 80 or above will automatically receive an AzPPA Print Merit.
- LOAN COLLECTION: The Loan Collection is selected based upon the same criteria as IPC:
Scores: 80-84 will not be judged for loan
Scores: 85-94 will be separately for loan collection
Scores 95-100 are automatically selected as loan
- Prints chosen for Loan will receive an additional Print Merit.
- ENTRY FORM and REGISTRATION: ALL ENTRIES, WHETHER SINGLE IMAGES OR ALBUMS, MUST REGISTER AT: www.azppaconvention.com/?pages/987783/registering-prints
- DIGITAL SUBMISSIONS: Digital images for competition must be re-sized so they are 4,000 pixels along the longest side. Each digital file must contain an embedded sRBG color profile and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10 or 90-95%. Total file size should not exceed 7.5 MB. Images will be judges on 27” Apple monitors mounted horizontally.
- COPYRIGHT: Entrants retain copyright of their images. However, by registering your images, you provide AzPPA with a release to facilitate AzPPA’s display of winning entries at the event, for marketing purposes on AzPPA’s website and printed material, without further compensation.
- ARBITRATION: The AzPPA Print Chairperson has the authority to make decisions about any questions not specifically covered by these rules, and his/her decision will be final. Any entries not following these rules will be automatically be disqualified.
ADDITIONAL RULES FOR ALBUM CATEGORY
- Albums will be judged for impact, creativity, style, print quality, technique, story content, expression of the subjects, lighting, presentation, and stability of work.
- All images must be from the same event.
- No multiple-volume albums are allowed.
- An image entered in an album cannot the be entered as an individual submission in the Pint Competition in the same year.
- Albums may not contain any images that previously merited in AZ State print competition.
- Albums accepted into the load Collective will receive an additional exhibition merit.
- Additional Rules for Multi-Maker Albums.
- All participating photographers must be AzPPA members
- Each participating photographer must have a minimum of 20 of his/her images represent in the album. The album will be judged as one entry. Each participating photographer must complete an online registration form and include a submission fee.
- Submission of a Multiple Photographer Album will be counted as one entry towards each of the participating photographer’s total allowed entries.
- All identifying marks indicating the maker must be obscured.
Special Note for Digital Albums: The photographer is responsible for the original layout design and all digital effects. Template design software may be used or someone else may create the digital effects, but you must be done under the photographer’s directions.
$189.00 AZPPA Member Price
$139.00 Earlybird rate before January 10
$299.00 Non-Member Price
$199.00 PPA Member and Student Price (for full time students, 12 credit hours or higher)
$75.00 Friday Night Only